How do I update my California driver license if I currently have an expired license? California

New Residents Drivers License

If you have moved to California from another state, you are required to get a new drivers license within 10 days of establishing residency. If you didn’t do that and your old state licensed expired, you must get to the DMV immediately and apply for a new license. Otherwise, you could get a ticket.

CA does not list any penalties for waiting longer than 10 days to get a new license, however. Check with the DMV for more information.

Expired CA Drivers License

It’s illegal to drive with an expired driver license. You could get ticketed if you happen to be pulled over.

There are no extra CA DMV fees for having an expired license, however.

Go in and renew the drivers license. If your current address is on file with the DMV, you should have received a renewal notice in the mail. This renewal notice tells you whether or not a written test is required this time.

If you didn’t get a renewal notice, contact the DMV and make an appointment to get your license renewed, or ask the agent if you can still renew by mail or online.

Remember, if you’re required to take the written test, take some practice tests to brush up on your road rules knowledge. These tests are free at the DMV Web site, or you can buy longer tests for a small fee from an online drivers ed company.

Visitor Comments

No visitor comments posted. Post a comment

Post Comment for "How do I update my California driver license if I currently have an expired license?"

To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.

User Opinions

100% thumbs up 0% thumbs down (4 votes)

How would you rate this answer?

Thank you for rating this answer.

Continue (the Site) is a privately owned, for-profit Web site owned by OnlineGURU, Inc. The Site specifically disclaims any and all connection with any state bureau, division, or Department of Motor Vehicles, or any state or federal government agency. does its best to get the correct information but does not claim responsibility for the accuracy of the information displayed herein. It is not complete or certified information. The information provided on is not legal advice, is not a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. Additionally, the Site expressly disclaims any and all liability for third party links or resources on the Site and any claims of negligence arising from same. For official information, please consult your state motor vehicle department.