What is the fee for a new NJ driver license? New Jersey

New Jersey Permit Fee

All new drivers must first apply for a permit. Depending on your age this is either called a student learner's permit (for drivers younger than 17) or an examination permit (for drivers 17 or older). The permit costs $10.

The $10 permit fee covers the cost of the written test. This test is a must for all new drivers, regardless of age. In addition to studying the state's driver manual and taking practice tests, enrolling in driver education is a good way to prepare for the test. Actually, if you're younger than 17, it's a requirement.

Be sure to bring cash or a check, money order, or credit card to pay the $10. You don't need to make an appointment; just visit your nearest DMV.

New Jersey Driver License Fee

A four-year NJ drivers license (known as a basic license) costs $24. This fee also covers the driving test.

Visitor Comments

No visitor comments posted. Post a comment

Post Comment for "What is the fee for a new NJ driver license?"

To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.

User Opinions

No users have voted.

How would you rate this answer?

Thank you for rating this answer.

DMVAnswers.com (the Site) is a privately owned, for-profit Web site owned by OnlineGURU, Inc. The Site specifically disclaims any and all connection with any state bureau, division, or Department of Motor Vehicles, or any state or federal government agency. DMVAnswers.com does its best to get the correct information but does not claim responsibility for the accuracy of the information displayed herein. It is not complete or certified information. The information provided on DMVAnswers.com is not legal advice, DMVAnswers.com is not a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. Additionally, the Site expressly disclaims any and all liability for third party links or resources on the Site and any claims of negligence arising from same. For official information, please consult your state motor vehicle department.