Where can I obtain an interlock device?

Your state DMV can direct you to approved suppliers of interlock devices. There are also suppliers readily available online, but check with your DUI court order for specific instructions.

An ignition interlock measures the alcohol content of a driver's breath through a device installed on the vehicle's dashboard. Many states require DWI offenders—even first-timers—to install an interlock. Once installed, your car will not start if a high level of alcohol is detected (usually .02 or higher), and many devices also require rolling tests during transit. These subsequent tests are intended to prevent a fraudulent measurement at the onset from someone not actually driving the vehicle. All results are recorded by the interlock device.

DUI laws vary by state, so be sure to check for specific requirements about interlock. In Florida, for example, a court-ordered interlock will cost you about $250 to install and maintain, and the device is set to lock the ignition at breathalyzer readings above .05.

If you have been charged with a DUI, interlock is just one of many consequences you might face, including revocation or restriction of your drivers license. Check with a local DUI attorney if you have questions about your particular case. If your financial responsibility is in question, you might also be required to supply SR-22 insurance as proof of your policy status.

Visitor Comments

No visitor comments posted. Post a comment

Post Comment for "Where can I obtain an interlock device?"

To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.

User Opinions

0% thumbs up 100% thumbs down (1 vote)

How would you rate this answer?

Thank you for rating this answer.

DMVAnswers.com (the Site) is a privately owned, for-profit Web site owned by OnlineGURU, Inc. The Site specifically disclaims any and all connection with any state bureau, division, or Department of Motor Vehicles, or any state or federal government agency. DMVAnswers.com does its best to get the correct information but does not claim responsibility for the accuracy of the information displayed herein. It is not complete or certified information. The information provided on DMVAnswers.com is not legal advice, DMVAnswers.com is not a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. Additionally, the Site expressly disclaims any and all liability for third party links or resources on the Site and any claims of negligence arising from same. For official information, please consult your state motor vehicle department.