How do I apply for a California duplicate license to replace a stolen drivers license or lost license? California

Replacement Drivers License Steps

If you have a lost drivers license, you won’t have to retake any written or driving tests. You will have to go into a DMV office in person; you cannot replace a driver license by Internet or mail.

To get a California duplicate license:

  • Schedule an appointment at a CA DMV office on the phone or by Internet.
  • Fill out form DL 44, the Driver License application. If you’re under 18, you must have your parents sign this form. The form’s only available at a DMV office, or you can call 1-800-777-0133 and have one mailed to you.
  • Bring another form of ID and know your Social Security number, so the DMV can validate who you are. Your picture and other information will be in the DMV database.
  • Let the DMV take a thumbprint.
  • Pay the fee: $25 for a regular Class C.
  • Replace a lost license as soon as you can. If you’re pulled over and don’t have a drivers license, you could be ticketed.

Losing a License While Out of State

If you lost your drivers license while out of California, call the DMV at (916) 657-7790 and ask what your options are. The DMV usually will not issue you a new license through the mail, but they may offer advice or help.

Temporary License

The DMV will issue you a temporary paper license, good for 60 days; you’ll receive your regular license in the mail.

Reporting a Stolen License

You should report a stolen license to the police and get a copy of the police report, in case the thieves use your identity.

You can also report suspected identity theft right away to the DMV by calling the DMV fraud hotline at 1-866-658-5758.

You may also want to report the theft to credit reporting companies, such as Equifax and Experian. You may also report it to the Federal Trade Commission.


PO Box 740241
Atlanta, GA 30374-0241


PO Box 9530
Allen, TX 75013

Federal Trade Commission

Identity Theft Clearing House
Federal Trade Commission
600 Pennsylvania Ave, NW
Washington, DC 20580

1-877-ID-THEFT (438-4338); TTY: 1-866-653-4261

Visitor Comments

No visitor comments posted. Post a comment

Post Comment for "How do I apply for a California duplicate license to replace a stolen drivers license or lost license?"

To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.

User Opinions

100% thumbs up 0% thumbs down (1 vote)

How would you rate this answer?

Thank you for rating this answer.

Continue (the Site) is a privately owned, for-profit Web site owned by OnlineGURU, Inc. The Site specifically disclaims any and all connection with any state bureau, division, or Department of Motor Vehicles, or any state or federal government agency. does its best to get the correct information but does not claim responsibility for the accuracy of the information displayed herein. It is not complete or certified information. The information provided on is not legal advice, is not a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. Additionally, the Site expressly disclaims any and all liability for third party links or resources on the Site and any claims of negligence arising from same. For official information, please consult your state motor vehicle department.