Do I have to take drivers ed if I am over 18?

States vary in how they handle the licensing of older drivers. In many states, you do not have to take a driver's education class to obtain a driver's license if you’re over 18 and successfully pass the applicable tests. However, there other states require that do require some training for older drivers. For example:
•    In Connecticut, all first-time applicants ages 18 and older must complete an eight hour course on safe driving before applying for their license.
•    In Florida, you must take a traffic law and substance abuse course if you’ve never had a license anywhere before. If you do have a license from another state, it may be best though to take the class not only to familiarize yourself with Florida laws but to avoid being charged to retake the written exam and driving tests.
•    Maryland’s law states that drivers ages 18 and older need to take a driver’s education class unless they've held a license from another state or country for at least 18 months. If you have never been licensed in the U.S., you must complete a three hour drug and alcohol education program.
•    New Mexico’s law requires drivers between the ages of 18 and 24 to complete a home study DWI awareness program called “None for the Road.” For drivers ages 25 and up, the state doesn’t require a driver’s education—although the DMV states taking a class will help you pass the written and driving test.
•    All new drivers ages 18 and older in New York must take a driver’s education class or a pre-licensing class. You will need the passing certificate from the class to take the road test when you apply for your license.
•    In Utah, all applicants, regardless of age, who have never been licensed must complete a state-approved driver education course. A driver education completion certificate from another state may be accepted if the course hours are at least 18 hours classroom, six hours driving, and six hours observation.
•    Virginia requires drivers 18 and older to hold a driver’s permit for at 30 days, or show proof of completing the driver education program, before taking the road test.
•    In Wyoming, driver’s education isn’t required for drivers over the age of 18. However, you can have the road test waived if you chose to complete a driver's education program.

While the majority of drivers in the United States take driver's educationwhen they are teenagers, there are some circumstances in which a person doesn't decide to get a license until later in life. For example, people who live in areas with strong public transportation systems may not feel the need to learn to drive immediately. Even if you're not legally required to take a driver's education class to earn your license, receiving formal training is a great way to make sure you’re equipped to safely operate a motor vehicle and know the laws of the state in which you are trying to obtain a license in.

Visitor Comments

No visitor comments posted. Post a comment

Post Comment for "Do I have to take drivers ed if I am over 18?"

To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.

User Opinions

66% thumbs up 33% thumbs down (6 votes)

How would you rate this answer?

Thank you for rating this answer.

Continue (the Site) is a privately owned, for-profit Web site owned by OnlineGURU, Inc. The Site specifically disclaims any and all connection with any state bureau, division, or Department of Motor Vehicles, or any state or federal government agency. does its best to get the correct information but does not claim responsibility for the accuracy of the information displayed herein. It is not complete or certified information. The information provided on is not legal advice, is not a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. Additionally, the Site expressly disclaims any and all liability for third party links or resources on the Site and any claims of negligence arising from same. For official information, please consult your state motor vehicle department.