What is the car registration fee in New Jersey? New Jersey
Register Car FeeUnlike some other states, New Jersey does not employ one flat vehicle registration fee. Instead it bases car registration rates on a vehicle's age, weight, and model.
NJ vehicle registration fees are as follows:
- 1970 or older, fewer than 2,700 pounds (Weight Class 1): $35.50
- 1970 or older, 2,700 pounds-3,800 pounds (Weight Class 2): $44.50
- 1970 or older, more than 3,800 pounds (Weight Class 3): $65.50
- 1971-1979, fewer than 2,700 pounds, (Weight Class 4): $38.50
- 1971-1979, 2,700 pounds - 3,800 pounds (Weight Class 5): $49.50
- 1971-1979, more than 3,800 pounds (Weight Class 6): $72.50
- 1980-2006, fewer than 3,500 pounds (Weight Class 7): $46.50
- 2007-2009, fewer than 3,500 pounds (Weight Class 7): $59
- 1980-2006, more than 3,500 pounds (Weight Class 8): $71.50
- 2007-2009, more than 3,500 pounds (Weight Class 8): $84
The fees for senior citizens 65 and older and handicapped drivers are $7 less for each respective category.
When it comes time for registration renewal, your fee will be listed on your NJ MVC renewal notice. This should arrive in the mail approximately 60 days prior to your registration's expiration date.
Smog Check and Safety Inspection
When you register your vehicle, you don't have to provide proof of it passing smog or emissions testing; however, be aware that after you register the vehicle for the first time, you will have 14 days from the date of your registration to have your vehicle inspected for emissions and safety. This must take place at a state inspection facility.
Post Comment for "What is the car registration fee in New Jersey?"
To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.
How would you rate this answer?
Thank you for rating this answer.