Do I need a special permit to haul an overweight or oversize load?

Hauling Overweight and Oversize Loads

You'll find that each state governs overweight and oversize loads differently. Depending on the size and/or weight of the load, you may need a permit. In Wisconsin, for example, an oversize permit is required for anything exceeding 8.6 feet wide, 13.6 feet high, 40 feet long for one vehicle or 65 feet long for two combined vehicles. While in Maryland, a permit is needed for any load between 8 - 9 feet and surpassing 13.6 feet high and 55 feet long. 

So if you're a CDL operator, driving across country with an overweight or oversize load, you will need to check with each state's DMV about requirements and, possibly, about obtaining a permit. Most state DMV Web sites provide detailed information regarding this, including downloadable permit applications, insurance requirements, routing and more.

Visitor Comments

No visitor comments posted. Post a comment

Post Comment for "Do I need a special permit to haul an overweight or oversize load?"

To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.

User Opinions

0% thumbs up 100% thumbs down (2 votes)

How would you rate this answer?

Thank you for rating this answer.

Continue (the Site) is a privately owned, for-profit Web site owned by OnlineGURU, Inc. The Site specifically disclaims any and all connection with any state bureau, division, or Department of Motor Vehicles, or any state or federal government agency. does its best to get the correct information but does not claim responsibility for the accuracy of the information displayed herein. It is not complete or certified information. The information provided on is not legal advice, is not a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. Additionally, the Site expressly disclaims any and all liability for third party links or resources on the Site and any claims of negligence arising from same. For official information, please consult your state motor vehicle department.