Do I have to unregister my vehicle if I sell it?

Sell Car and Unregister

After selling your car you may, depending on your state, have to notify your local DMV. This may require submitting a specific form, surrendering your license plates, or, in the case of Arkansas, making a phone call. This allows the DMV to update your vehicle registration file and, more importantly, releases you from liability. Even if your state does not require notification, it's still recommended.

All buyers of used cars must register immediately. If you're new to the driving game and are unsure of how to apply for vehicle registration, or want to learn about registration renewal, contact your local DMV.

Alabama Not required.
Alaska Complete title stub or a Notice of Transfer and Release of Liability form.
Arizona Submit a Sold Notice within 10 days of car being sold.
Arkansas Notify your county assessor.
California Submit Notice of Transfer and Release of Liability within five days of sale.
Colorado Not required.
Connecticut You must surrender license plates.
Delaware Complete Seller's Report of Sale at bottom of title and submit to DMV.
Florida Submit a Notice of Sale within 30 days of car being sold.
Georgia You must visit DMV to unregister after sale.
Hawaii Submit a Notice of Transfer within 10 days of car being sold.
Idaho Complete title's Release of Liability section and take to DMV.
Illinois Not required.
Indiana Not required.
Iowa Surrender plates to county treasurer or transfer to a new car.
Kansas Surrender plates or submit a Notice of Sale.
Kentucky If you sell out-of-state, remove plates. Otherwise, no notification required.
Louisiana Surrender plates and complete Notice of Vehicle Transfer.
Maine Not required.
Maryland Surrender plates or transfer to another vehicle.
Massachusetts Surrender plates to RMV.
Michigan Not required.
Minnesota Submit Notice of Sale within 10 days by mail or online.
Mississippi Surrender plates to local Tax Collector's office.
Missouri Submit either a Notice of Sale or a Bill of Sale to DMV within 30 days of sale.
Montana Not required.
Nebraska Not required.
Nevada Either transfer plates to a new car or surrender to DMV.
New Hampshire Not required.
New Jersey Surrender plates to MVC.
New Mexico Either register license plates on new vehicle or surrender.
New York You must surrender your license plates.
North Carolina Either register license plates on new vehicle or surrender.
North Dakota Not required.
Ohio Submit Customer Request to Cancel Vehicle Registration form along with plates or bill of sale.
Oklahoma Submit either Notice of Transfer of Ownership of a Vehicle or title's tear-off tab.
Oregon Submit Notice of Sale within 10 days of sale.
Pennsylvania Surrender license plates unless you transfer them to another car.
Rhode Island Bring plates and registration card to DMV.
South Carolina Surrender plates to DMV.
South Dakota Submit a Seller's Report of Sale (this is optional).
Tennessee Not required.
Texas Submit a Vehicle Transfer Notification within 30 days of sale.
Utah Must notify DMV in writing; mail or fax.
Vermont Not required.
Virginia Notify DMV online or by phone.
Washington Notify DMV within five days of sale; online or in-person.
West Virginia Submit a Sold Vehicle and Watercraft Notice within 60 days of sale.
Wisconsin Not required.
Wyoming Not required.
Washington DC Surrender plates to DMV.

Visitor Comments

No visitor comments posted. Post a comment

Post Comment for "Do I have to unregister my vehicle if I sell it?"

To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.

User Opinions

50% thumbs up 50% thumbs down (4 votes)

How would you rate this answer?

Thank you for rating this answer.

Continue (the Site) is a privately owned, for-profit Web site owned by OnlineGURU, Inc. The Site specifically disclaims any and all connection with any state bureau, division, or Department of Motor Vehicles, or any state or federal government agency. does its best to get the correct information but does not claim responsibility for the accuracy of the information displayed herein. It is not complete or certified information. The information provided on is not legal advice, is not a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. Additionally, the Site expressly disclaims any and all liability for third party links or resources on the Site and any claims of negligence arising from same. For official information, please consult your state motor vehicle department.