Is there a way to remove negative information from my records when I am the subject of a background check?

Yes, there is a way to remove negative information from your records when you are the subject of a background check, although it’s better to correct your background report beforehand. By law, you can remove any negative information on a background report as long as the information is inaccurate or its presence on your report is in violation of law, such as a statute of limitations. The process for removing negative information from your records varies, but in general you’ll need to file a formal dispute with the governmental agency or credit bureau that disseminates the background report.

Credit bureaus are required by the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) to ensure that all information on a consumer background report is accurate and within the seven year time-frame for most items, such as payment delinquencies. If negative information on your credit report is inaccurate or exceeds the seven year maximum, you can write a dispute letter to the credit bureau to request the item’s removal. Unless they can verify otherwise, they are required to remove the negative item. For any negative information that appears on governmental records such as driving and criminal records, you’ll need to contact the responsible governmental agency directly. In such a case, disputing negative information reported by law enforcement or a court may require advanced legal action.

If you’re concerned you may have negative information in your records, you should strongly consider conducting a background check yourself. Conducting a background check online is quick and easy and can save you a lot of headaches in the future.

Visitor Comments

No visitor comments posted. Post a comment

Post Comment for "Is there a way to remove negative information from my records when I am the subject of a background check?"

To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.

User Opinions

No users have voted.

How would you rate this answer?

Thank you for rating this answer.

Continue (the Site) is a privately owned, for-profit Web site owned by OnlineGURU, Inc. The Site specifically disclaims any and all connection with any state bureau, division, or Department of Motor Vehicles, or any state or federal government agency. does its best to get the correct information but does not claim responsibility for the accuracy of the information displayed herein. It is not complete or certified information. The information provided on is not legal advice, is not a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. Additionally, the Site expressly disclaims any and all liability for third party links or resources on the Site and any claims of negligence arising from same. For official information, please consult your state motor vehicle department.