How do I get a 30 day permit?

If you have a car that has been given an emissions test and failed, you may have a problem. Your car has to be fixed before it can be legally registered in your state. However, if this is the only vehicle that you own, you will probably still need to drive to get to work and other appointments. A 30 day permit lets you legally drive your vehicle while you're waiting for the mechanic to fix the issues that caused you to fail the inspection.

In order to get a 30 day permit, you will need the VIN (Vehicle Identification Number), your driver's license information, and proof of insurance on the vehicle for the entire 30 days. Generally, you can only get one 30 day permit per vehicle in any 12 month period.

You must display the 30 day permit in the bottom right corner of the rear window of the vehicle it is for. There will also be a part of the permit that you can cut off from the printed sheet to carry for proof of registration.

Alabama Maricopa County Air Quality Department
Alaska Environmental Services Vehicle Inspection Program
Arizona n/a
Arkansas n/a
California Department of Consumer Affairs Consumer Information Center
Colorado DMV
Connecticut DMV
Delaware DMV
Florida n/a
Georgia Georgia’s Clean Air Force
Hawaii n/a
Idaho Air Quality Board
Illinois Air Team test station
Indiana Clean Air Car Check station
Iowa n/a
Kansas n/a
Kentucky n/a
Louisiana Emissions Challenge station
Maine Department of Environmental Protection Bureau of Air Quality
Maryland VEIP station
Massachusetts Motorist Assistance Center (MAC)
Michigan n/a
Minnesota n/a
Mississippi n/a
Missouri Department of Natural Resources
Montana n/a
Nebraska n/a
Nevada DMV Emission Test Facility
New Hampshire DMV
New Jersey New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission
New Mexico Vehicle Pollution Management Division
New York NYVIP inspection station
North Carolina DMV
North Dakota n/a
Ohio Ohio EPA
Oklahoma n/a
Oregon Department of Environmental Quality
Pennsylvania Vehicle Emissions Inspection & Maintenance
Rhode Island DMV
South Carolina n/a
South Dakota n/a
Tennessee TDEC Vehicle Testing Information
Texas Department of Public Safety
Utah local Department of Health
Vermont n/a
Virginia DMV
Washington Refer to the brochure given to you when your vehicle failed for additional information.
West Virginia n/a
Wisconsin Department of Transportation
Wyoming n/a
Washington DC DMV

Visitor Comments

No visitor comments posted. Post a comment

Post Comment for "How do I get a 30 day permit?"

To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.

User Opinions

62% thumbs up 37% thumbs down (8 votes)

How would you rate this answer?

Thank you for rating this answer.

Continue (the Site) is a privately owned, for-profit Web site owned by OnlineGURU, Inc. The Site specifically disclaims any and all connection with any state bureau, division, or Department of Motor Vehicles, or any state or federal government agency. does its best to get the correct information but does not claim responsibility for the accuracy of the information displayed herein. It is not complete or certified information. The information provided on is not legal advice, is not a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. Additionally, the Site expressly disclaims any and all liability for third party links or resources on the Site and any claims of negligence arising from same. For official information, please consult your state motor vehicle department.