Can I perform a background check on someone without a social security number?

Yes, you can perform a background check without a social security number. But you will need to have some other identifiers, such as the person’s name and birth date. Most public records background check systems start with the name and go on to include other personal information. Generally, a social security number search is accepted as the most accurate of the public records search tools. However, if you were only to use a person’s name, the chances are that the search results would return multiple records, but on multiple persons that share the same name.

The social security number is the primary method used to keep track of individuals and their social security accounts. It is the most important record keeping number for individuals, starting from the date the card is issued until the person’s death. Anyone that has access to a person’s social security number has the key element required to conduct virtually any type of background investigation. If you have a social security number to perform a background investigation, it removes nearly all doubt about a person’s identity. This number gives you access to nearly all of the most essential details of any individual.

With the social security number you will have access to birth records, death records, marriage records and divorce records. You can also get information on real estate transactions and criminal records. If you are concerned about the legitimacy of a person’s social security number when it is presented for employment screening or some other purpose, you can perform free social security number lookups at numerous online background check sites.

Visitor Comments

No visitor comments posted. Post a comment

Post Comment for "Can I perform a background check on someone without a social security number?"

To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.

User Opinions

66% thumbs up 33% thumbs down (3 votes)

How would you rate this answer?

Thank you for rating this answer.

Continue (the Site) is a privately owned, for-profit Web site owned by OnlineGURU, Inc. The Site specifically disclaims any and all connection with any state bureau, division, or Department of Motor Vehicles, or any state or federal government agency. does its best to get the correct information but does not claim responsibility for the accuracy of the information displayed herein. It is not complete or certified information. The information provided on is not legal advice, is not a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. Additionally, the Site expressly disclaims any and all liability for third party links or resources on the Site and any claims of negligence arising from same. For official information, please consult your state motor vehicle department.