How can I reduce points on my driving record?

To prevent having your driver’s license suspended, you may need to reduce the number of points on your DMV driving record. In many states, you can take a driver improvement course to reduce the points on your license; the length and content of each course varies by state, but often a pass or fail grade is assigned based on a final test at the end of the course.

First, you’ll need to obtain your driving record information to determine exactly how many points you have and get a clear picture of your overall standing.

You may be able to take your driver improvement course online, but some states require physical attendance. Additionally, some states will allow a three-point deduction in a one-year period, while others only allow that same deduction in a three-year period. By checking your driving records online, you will be able to determine whether you need to take a driver improvement course or if some of your points are scheduled to drop off in the near future.

You may also petition a judge to ask that some of your points be removed if you have gone a fixed period of time without committing any traffic violations. This can be very useful if you add that you may have difficulty obtaining insurance because of your tarnished driving record; however, be prepared for the judge to request that you complete a driver’s improvement course before he orders your points removed.

If you have received tickets within the last ten years, you’ll need to check your state driving record and make sure it doesn’t contain any errors; this can help you avoid the risk of facing a suspended license, which can cost you considerable time and money to fix.

Visitor Comments

No visitor comments posted. Post a comment

Post Comment for "How can I reduce points on my driving record?"

To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.

User Opinions

No users have voted.

How would you rate this answer?

Thank you for rating this answer.

Continue (the Site) is a privately owned, for-profit Web site owned by OnlineGURU, Inc. The Site specifically disclaims any and all connection with any state bureau, division, or Department of Motor Vehicles, or any state or federal government agency. does its best to get the correct information but does not claim responsibility for the accuracy of the information displayed herein. It is not complete or certified information. The information provided on is not legal advice, is not a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. Additionally, the Site expressly disclaims any and all liability for third party links or resources on the Site and any claims of negligence arising from same. For official information, please consult your state motor vehicle department.