Is there a late fee or penalty for expired vehicle registration in California? California

Vehicle Registration Late Fee

Yes. You must complete the registration renewal by the due date, or you’ll incur late fees. Penalties are:

  • $10 for 1 to 10 days.
  • $15 for 15 to 30 days.
  • $30 for 30 days to one year.
  • $50 for one year to two years.
  • $100 for more than two years.

Avoid a Traffic Ticket

Failing to renew your registration on time can get pricey. For example, if you are pulled over, you’ll get a traffic ticket for having an expired car registration, so in addition to the registration late fees you'll pay the California DMV, you'll also have to cover the cost of the ticket. You might even have to make an appearance in court.

CA has several ways to renew a registration, including online, by mail, or in person, so you can complete your transaction right away.

Visitor Comments

No visitor comments posted. Post a comment

Post Comment for "Is there a late fee or penalty for expired vehicle registration in California?"

To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.

User Opinions

75% thumbs up 25% thumbs down (4 votes)

How would you rate this answer?

Thank you for rating this answer.

Continue (the Site) is a privately owned, for-profit Web site owned by OnlineGURU, Inc. The Site specifically disclaims any and all connection with any state bureau, division, or Department of Motor Vehicles, or any state or federal government agency. does its best to get the correct information but does not claim responsibility for the accuracy of the information displayed herein. It is not complete or certified information. The information provided on is not legal advice, is not a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. Additionally, the Site expressly disclaims any and all liability for third party links or resources on the Site and any claims of negligence arising from same. For official information, please consult your state motor vehicle department.