How do I make a correction or name change to an existing auto title in CA? California

You’re allowed to make a name change on a CA car title when:

  • The name on the title does not match your true full name.
  • The name is spelled wrong.
  • You legally changed your name.

Below are three specific methods for changing names on titles. Each one is free.

Basic Name Change on an Auto Title

Basically, you’re going to conduct a title transfer to yourself in your new name. You need your title and a DMV form. You do not need a bill of sale.

  • Write your new name in the "New Registered Owner" section of the title.
  • Fill out the Name Statement Section on Form 256, Statements of Facts (from the DMV Web site) and sign it.

How to Change Name on a Car Title Held by a Bank

If your title is with a lienholder:

  • Fill out the Statement of Facts (Form 256) and sign it. Give it to the lienholder.
  • Request that the lienholder give this form to the California DMV and correct the title.

Changing Name on Lost Title

To change your name, you first must apply for a duplicate title. Then you can complete one of the above procedures to complete your name change.

Visitor Comments

No visitor comments posted. Post a comment

Post Comment for "How do I make a correction or name change to an existing auto title in CA?"

To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.

User Opinions

No users have voted.

How would you rate this answer?

Thank you for rating this answer.

Continue (the Site) is a privately owned, for-profit Web site owned by OnlineGURU, Inc. The Site specifically disclaims any and all connection with any state bureau, division, or Department of Motor Vehicles, or any state or federal government agency. does its best to get the correct information but does not claim responsibility for the accuracy of the information displayed herein. It is not complete or certified information. The information provided on is not legal advice, is not a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. Additionally, the Site expressly disclaims any and all liability for third party links or resources on the Site and any claims of negligence arising from same. For official information, please consult your state motor vehicle department.