How do I make a correction or name change to an existing auto title in TX? Texas

Because you need a vehicle title as proof of legal ownership, it's important that the information on this document is accurate. If you need to make a correction or a name change for an existing auto title, you should visit your Texas DMV and county tax office within 20 working days of the change.

Name Changes and Corrections

If you need to record a name change due to marriage, divorce, or other circumstances, you can update your title by visiting your county tax office.

You will need to bring certified documents proving the name change, such as a marriage certificate or divorce degree, and copies of your current title and vehicle registration papers. There is a $28 fee for receiving a new vehicle title. If you simply want to add a name to an auto title, you just need to fill out a new vehicle title application and pay the necessary fee.

Once you've completed the title transfer, your vehicle registration will update automatically. You should see the correct name on the next Texas vehicle registration renewal notice you receive in the mail.

Special Circumstances for Texas Residents

Although the process for updating auto titles is fairly simply in most cases, there are two special circumstances Texas residents should be aware of:

  • If your spouse has recently passed away and you wish to have the vehicle titled in your name, you must wait until the probate process has been completed. If your spouse did not have a will, you can fill out an affidavit of heirship to begin the title transfer.
  • If you are recently divorced and have been awarded a vehicle in the divorce settlement, you will need a certified copy of your divorce decree. If the divorce decree does not specify the vehicle should be awarded to you, your former spouse will need to give you the TX car title signed over as though the vehicle was a gift. It's unlikely you'll need a bill of sale for this transaction, but you might want to call ahead to make sure.

Visitor Comments

No visitor comments posted. Post a comment

Post Comment for "How do I make a correction or name change to an existing auto title in TX?"

To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.

User Opinions

0% thumbs up 100% thumbs down (1 vote)

How would you rate this answer?

Thank you for rating this answer.

Continue (the Site) is a privately owned, for-profit Web site owned by OnlineGURU, Inc. The Site specifically disclaims any and all connection with any state bureau, division, or Department of Motor Vehicles, or any state or federal government agency. does its best to get the correct information but does not claim responsibility for the accuracy of the information displayed herein. It is not complete or certified information. The information provided on is not legal advice, is not a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. Additionally, the Site expressly disclaims any and all liability for third party links or resources on the Site and any claims of negligence arising from same. For official information, please consult your state motor vehicle department.