Last Updated 8th of April, 2010
When gifting a car, what is required to transfer the title in NY? New York
Transferring Titles After Gifting VehiclesIf you're transferring the title of a vehicle given as a gift, you'll need to visit any NY DMV office with:
- The vehicle's signed-over title.
- A completed Statement of Transaction for Sales Tax (form MV-82). The seller or donor must fill out page two. You'll need to complete page one. This form will indicate to the DMV that the title transfer is a gift, exempting you from New York sales tax.
- A completed Application for Title (MV-82TON).
- Proof of name and date of birth.
- Proof of ownership. You and the "seller" will need to complete a bill of sale and mark the sales price as "GIFT."
- Cash, check, money order, or credit card (Visa, American Express, Discover, MasterCard) to pay $50 title fee.
Be aware that in New York titling (including titles for vehicles as gifts) and registering go hand-in-hand, as it were. Be sure to bring proper documents for registering, including proof of insurance.
No visitor comments posted. Post a comment
Post Comment for "When gifting a car, what is required to transfer the title in NY?"
To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.
66% 33% (3 votes)
How would you rate this answer?
Thank you for rating this answer.