What are the NC title transfer requirements for selling used cars? North Carolina

Title Transfer for Used Cars

Bring the car title in to a North Carolina notary with the buyer. On the back, you’ll write:

  • The buyer’s name and address.
  • When you delivered the car, or the date of purchase.
  • The mileage for vehicles 10 years old or newer.
  • Damage disclosure.

Then, both you and the buyer will sign the title and the notary will notarize it to complete the title transfer. In NC, the DMV doesn't require a bill of sale because the notarization on titles is official recognition of the sale for used cars. You only need to have a bill of sale for cars bought at dealerships.

Remember the Vehicle History Reports

Sell car fast and create a better marketing tool for your used car by ordering a Vehicle History Report of the car you’re selling. This will cost from $20 to $30.

The report, or VHR, is a print-out of all major issues the car has ever had. By giving this to the buyer, you’re telling him or her that you’re honest and upfront with everything.

Visitor Comments

No visitor comments posted. Post a comment

Post Comment for "What are the NC title transfer requirements for selling used cars?"

To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.

User Opinions

100% thumbs up 0% thumbs down (1 vote)

How would you rate this answer?

Thank you for rating this answer.

DMVAnswers.com (the Site) is a privately owned, for-profit Web site owned by OnlineGURU, Inc. The Site specifically disclaims any and all connection with any state bureau, division, or Department of Motor Vehicles, or any state or federal government agency. DMVAnswers.com does its best to get the correct information but does not claim responsibility for the accuracy of the information displayed herein. It is not complete or certified information. The information provided on DMVAnswers.com is not legal advice, DMVAnswers.com is not a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. Additionally, the Site expressly disclaims any and all liability for third party links or resources on the Site and any claims of negligence arising from same. For official information, please consult your state motor vehicle department.