After paying off an auto loan, how do I get the lien removed and title the vehicle in my name in NC? North Carolina

Title Transfer for Lien Release

Once you’ve paid off your auto loan or auto loans, the NC DMV can release the car title to you in your name. Usually, the lender sends a notice to the North Carolina DMV telling them you’ve paid off the car loan, and you don't have to do anything.

If the lender does not do this task for you, then you can get the lien taken off the title yourself:
  • Fill out and have notarized a Lien Release Form, MVR-8, from the NC DMV website. The notary may ask to see proof of the lien being paid off, such as a final bill or official letter saying “paid in full.”
  • Make an appointment at a NC DMV office.
  • Go in and present them with the lien release form.
  • The DMV will issue you a new title.

Because it’s not a title substitute or replacement, the DMV should not charge you a fee to take a lien holder off the title.


Visitor Comments

No visitor comments posted. Post a comment

Post Comment for "After paying off an auto loan, how do I get the lien removed and title the vehicle in my name in NC?"

To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.

User Opinions

100% thumbs up 0% thumbs down (2 votes)

How would you rate this answer?

Thank you for rating this answer.

Continue (the Site) is a privately owned, for-profit Web site owned by OnlineGURU, Inc. The Site specifically disclaims any and all connection with any state bureau, division, or Department of Motor Vehicles, or any state or federal government agency. does its best to get the correct information but does not claim responsibility for the accuracy of the information displayed herein. It is not complete or certified information. The information provided on is not legal advice, is not a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. Additionally, the Site expressly disclaims any and all liability for third party links or resources on the Site and any claims of negligence arising from same. For official information, please consult your state motor vehicle department.