How do I make a correction or name change to an existing auto title in NC? North Carolina

Getting Changes to a Car Title in North Carolina

In NC, you can either get a substitute title or a title correction to fix problems on your car title.  Substitute titles and title corrections are slightly different, though they have the same fees. These are not the same as a title transfer, but will get you a whole new title as well.

A Bill of Sale is not needed in the state, because the DMV has everyone notarize all title documents instead.

Substitute Title

To make a correction that will make the old car title null, such as having the wrong car model or year, or wrong Vehicle Identification Number, you need to get a substitute title. To get this car title:

  • In the presence of a notary, fill out  and sign Form MVR-5, which lists the changes; and Form MVR-28 Affidavit of Facts.
  • Make an appointment at a North Carolina DMV office.
  • Bring in your NC title with the mileage filled out, for cars 10 years old or newer.
  • Pay the $15 fee.

Title Correction

An auto title correction is used for:

  • A name change on titles, for legal name changes only. Documentation must be provided to the DMV.
  • Fix an error, such as a spelling error, made in the original title.
  • Body changes to the car that change the car’s description.
  • Lien correction.

To get a title correction:

  • Fill out form MVR-5, which must be notarized and signed.
  • Make an appointment at a NC DMV office.
  • Bring in your North Carolina title.
  • Pay the $15.00 title fee.
  • Provide an odometer reading for cars 10 years old or newer.
  • Have insurance proof.

Name Changes

For name changes, take your documentation for the name change, such as court order, naturalization papers, or marriage papers. Note that you should not let the clerk copy your naturalization papers nor keep them; the DMV clerk should just look at them and give them back to you.

Only the person who is changing his or her name needs to sign the title, even if the title is jointly held.

Both men and women who change their names due to marriage do not need to get a court order; the marriage certificate will suffice.

Lien Changes

For lien changes, the lienholder listed on the old title must confirm all changes. Ask the DMV if you will need to get a Lien Release from the old lien holder, or be ready to provide proof that the lienholder listed on the title is wrong.

Visitor Comments

No visitor comments posted. Post a comment

Post Comment for "How do I make a correction or name change to an existing auto title in NC?"

To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.

User Opinions

No users have voted.

How would you rate this answer?

Thank you for rating this answer.

Continue (the Site) is a privately owned, for-profit Web site owned by OnlineGURU, Inc. The Site specifically disclaims any and all connection with any state bureau, division, or Department of Motor Vehicles, or any state or federal government agency. does its best to get the correct information but does not claim responsibility for the accuracy of the information displayed herein. It is not complete or certified information. The information provided on is not legal advice, is not a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. Additionally, the Site expressly disclaims any and all liability for third party links or resources on the Site and any claims of negligence arising from same. For official information, please consult your state motor vehicle department.