When gifting a car, what is required to transfer the title in NC? North Carolina

Gifting and Titles

To gift a car, you complete a title transfer. The only difference is you will write "gift" where the title asks for a purchase price.

Recipients of vehicles as gifts must pay the Highway Use Tax, unless they are related as spouses or parent/child.

Completing a Title Transfer

To complete a title transfer, the previous owner and new owner will have to notarize several forms. These forms, except for the actual car title, which the old owner should have, can be found at the NC DMV website:

  • Title Application.
  • Car title, signed over to the new owner. This is like a bill of sale. Fill out the odometer reading if the car is 10 years old or newer.
  • Declaration of Eligible Risk.

Once these forms are completed, the previous owner needs to take back the North Carolina license plate, too. 

The new owner must next get to the DMV for title and registration. In fact, if there is no new title within 28 days of when it was signed over, there will be a $15 charge.

To wrap up the title transfer, the new owner must schedule an appointment at a DMV Vehicle & License Plate Office and bring:

  • The notarized forms, your drivers license, and proof of insurance.
  • Applicable fees. There is a $40 fee for a new title (Raleigh and Charlotte have an Instant Title service for $75) and there will be a separate charge for the Highway Use tax, which will be calculated at the DMV office.
  • Applicable registration requirements and fees. This might also mean proof of an emissions check and safety inspection. 

Visitor Comments

No visitor comments posted. Post a comment

Post Comment for "When gifting a car, what is required to transfer the title in NC?"

To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.

User Opinions

No users have voted.

How would you rate this answer?

Thank you for rating this answer.

DMVAnswers.com (the Site) is a privately owned, for-profit Web site owned by OnlineGURU, Inc. The Site specifically disclaims any and all connection with any state bureau, division, or Department of Motor Vehicles, or any state or federal government agency. DMVAnswers.com does its best to get the correct information but does not claim responsibility for the accuracy of the information displayed herein. It is not complete or certified information. The information provided on DMVAnswers.com is not legal advice, DMVAnswers.com is not a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. Additionally, the Site expressly disclaims any and all liability for third party links or resources on the Site and any claims of negligence arising from same. For official information, please consult your state motor vehicle department.