Is there a late fee or penalty for expired vehicle registration in New Jersey? New Jersey

Vehicle Registration Late Fees and Penalties

You will not have to pay a late fee if you fail to renew your New Jersey car registration on time; however, you will be issued a traffic ticket and fined if caught by law enforcement for driving with an expired registration.

The NJ MVC sends registration renewal forms approximately 60 days prior to your vehicle registration's expiration date. This gives you plenty of time to comply with registration obligations using one of four renewal methods: online, phone, by mail, and in person.

HINT: If your registration is set to expire within a few days, renew directly at an MVC office. You'll receive your updated registration certificate immediately, whereas the other methods will take a minimum of one week for your registration to arrive in the mail.

Visitor Comments

No visitor comments posted. Post a comment

Post Comment for "Is there a late fee or penalty for expired vehicle registration in New Jersey?"

To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.

User Opinions

0% thumbs up 100% thumbs down (1 vote)

How would you rate this answer?

Thank you for rating this answer.

Continue (the Site) is a privately owned, for-profit Web site owned by OnlineGURU, Inc. The Site specifically disclaims any and all connection with any state bureau, division, or Department of Motor Vehicles, or any state or federal government agency. does its best to get the correct information but does not claim responsibility for the accuracy of the information displayed herein. It is not complete or certified information. The information provided on is not legal advice, is not a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. Additionally, the Site expressly disclaims any and all liability for third party links or resources on the Site and any claims of negligence arising from same. For official information, please consult your state motor vehicle department.