After paying off an auto loan, how do I get the lien removed and title the vehicle in my name in NJ? New Jersey

Pay Off Auto Loans, Hello Car Titles

After fulfilling your car loan obligations, contact your lienholder for the car title and a letter or statement of proof. This statement must be notarized and composed on the lender's letterhead by an authorized official. It must state you've satisfied your auto loan agreement and include your name and the vehicle make, model, and VIN. The title must be signed, dated, and stamped with the endorsement "lien satisfied."

Bring the following to any MVC office:

  • Your New Jersey car title.
  • Your letter of proof.
  • Cash, check, money order, or credit card (American Express, Visa, MasterCard) to pay $85 title re-issue fee.

Or, if you prefer, mail documents and a check or money order to:

Motor Vehicle Commission
Database Corrections
P.O. Box 141
Trenton, NJ 08666-0141 

No bill of sale is needed.

Why Apply for a Re-Issued Car Title

Removing the lien from your title will save you time down the road when it comes to selling the vehicle and completing a title transfer. Otherwise, you'll need to provide the buyer with proof that your title lien has been satisfied.

Visitor Comments

No visitor comments posted. Post a comment

Post Comment for "After paying off an auto loan, how do I get the lien removed and title the vehicle in my name in NJ?"

To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.

User Opinions

100% thumbs up 0% thumbs down (2 votes)

How would you rate this answer?

Thank you for rating this answer.

Continue (the Site) is a privately owned, for-profit Web site owned by OnlineGURU, Inc. The Site specifically disclaims any and all connection with any state bureau, division, or Department of Motor Vehicles, or any state or federal government agency. does its best to get the correct information but does not claim responsibility for the accuracy of the information displayed herein. It is not complete or certified information. The information provided on is not legal advice, is not a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. Additionally, the Site expressly disclaims any and all liability for third party links or resources on the Site and any claims of negligence arising from same. For official information, please consult your state motor vehicle department.