Last Updated 12th of April, 2010
How do you transfer vehicle titles to family in NJ? New Jersey
Transferring Titles to Family MembersWhen conducting a title transfer with a family member, you'll follow the same process as if conducting a regular title transfer:
- Remove the vehicle's license plates. You can either transfer these to another vehicle (owned by you), or, if not, you must surrender them to any MVC office.
- Sign the back of the car title and include: the buyers name (family member) and address, date of sale, mileage odometer reading, and sale price. If the vehicle is a gift, write the word "GIFT" as the sale price. This will exempt the "buyer" from paying sales tax.
If you're the family member receiving the auto title, here's what to do:
- Sign the back of the title and include your drivers license number.
- Visit any NJ MVC office with the signed title and proof of car insurance.
- Pay $60 title fee with cash or a check, money order, or credit card (Visa, MasterCard, American Express). If the vehicle is not a gift, you will also need to pay New Jersey sales tax.
No visitor comments posted. Post a comment
Post Comment for "How do you transfer vehicle titles to family in NJ?"
To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.
83% 16% (6 votes)
How would you rate this answer?
Thank you for rating this answer.