How do you transfer vehicle titles to family in NJ? New Jersey

Transferring Titles to Family Members

When conducting a title transfer with a family member, you'll follow the same process as if conducting a regular title transfer:

  1. Remove the vehicle's license plates. You can either transfer these to another vehicle (owned by you), or, if not, you must surrender them to any MVC office. 
  2. Sign the back of the car title and include: the buyers name (family member) and address, date of sale, mileage odometer reading, and sale price. If the vehicle is a gift, write the word "GIFT" as the sale price. This will exempt the "buyer" from paying sales tax.
No bill of sale is required. 

If you're the family member receiving the auto title, here's what to do:

  1. Sign the back of the title and include your drivers license number. 
  2. Visit any NJ MVC office with the signed title and proof of car insurance.
  3. Pay $60 title fee with cash or a check, money order, or credit card (Visa, MasterCard, American Express). If the vehicle is not a gift, you will also need to pay New Jersey sales tax.  

Visitor Comments

No visitor comments posted. Post a comment

Post Comment for "How do you transfer vehicle titles to family in NJ?"

To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.

User Opinions

83% thumbs up 16% thumbs down (6 votes)

How would you rate this answer?

Thank you for rating this answer.

Continue (the Site) is a privately owned, for-profit Web site owned by OnlineGURU, Inc. The Site specifically disclaims any and all connection with any state bureau, division, or Department of Motor Vehicles, or any state or federal government agency. does its best to get the correct information but does not claim responsibility for the accuracy of the information displayed herein. It is not complete or certified information. The information provided on is not legal advice, is not a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. Additionally, the Site expressly disclaims any and all liability for third party links or resources on the Site and any claims of negligence arising from same. For official information, please consult your state motor vehicle department.