When gifting a car, what is required to transfer the title in NJ? New Jersey

Transferring Titles for Vehicles as Gifts

If you've received a vehicle as a gift, you'll want to process the title transfer as such. To do so, the seller (who is actually the person gifting the vehicle) must write "GIFT" as the sale price on the car title. You then must visit any NJ MVC office and:

  • Complete an Application for Certificate of Origin. You can download the form from the MVC's Web site. 
  • Provide the signed-over title. Be sure to sign it and add your driver license number. 
  • Provide proof of car insurance.
  • Have cash, a check, a money order, or a credit card (MasterCard, Visa, American Express) to pay $60 title fee.

The word "GIFT" as the sales price on the title (not on a bill of sale) will earn you tax exempt status. This means you will not be charged sales tax on the vehicle.

Be sure to title your vehicle immediately. New Jersey requires all newly purchased vehicles to be titled within 10 days of the sale. You will be charged a penalty fee if you go beyond the 10-day limit.

Visitor Comments

No visitor comments posted. Post a comment

Post Comment for "When gifting a car, what is required to transfer the title in NJ?"

To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.

User Opinions

100% thumbs up 0% thumbs down (4 votes)

How would you rate this answer?

Thank you for rating this answer.

DMVAnswers.com (the Site) is a privately owned, for-profit Web site owned by OnlineGURU, Inc. The Site specifically disclaims any and all connection with any state bureau, division, or Department of Motor Vehicles, or any state or federal government agency. DMVAnswers.com does its best to get the correct information but does not claim responsibility for the accuracy of the information displayed herein. It is not complete or certified information. The information provided on DMVAnswers.com is not legal advice, DMVAnswers.com is not a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. Additionally, the Site expressly disclaims any and all liability for third party links or resources on the Site and any claims of negligence arising from same. For official information, please consult your state motor vehicle department.