After paying off an auto loan, how do I get the lien removed and title the vehicle in my name in IL? Illinois

Auto Loans and Titles

To remove a lien from your car title after paying off the car loan, submit the following to the Illinois Secretary of State (SOS):

  • Either a lien clearance letter or a lien contract from your lienholder, declaring that your auto loan has been satisfied.
  • A court order directing the SOS to issue you a duplicate title minus the lien or the lienholder's name. The court order must be signed by the judge who issued the order and/or reflect the filed stamp of the Clerk's Office and include your vehicle's year, make and VIN. 
  • A completed Application for Vehicle Transaction(s) (VSD 190). This cannot be downloaded. You can grab one from any SOS office, or call (800) 252-8980 and have it mailed to you. 
  • Check or money order for $95 title fee. 

No bill of sale is required.

Deliver documents and payment to any SOS office. Or, if you prefer, mail to:

    Office of the Secretary of State
    Vehicle Services Department
    501 S. Second St., Room 011
    Springfield, IL 62756-6666 

Why Remove Lien from Car Title?

Removing a lien from the title will save you time when selling the vehicle. During the title transfer you will need to provide proof that the lien has been satisfied. Waiting to do this during the title transfer could possibly delay the sale by several weeks.

Visitor Comments

No visitor comments posted. Post a comment

Post Comment for "After paying off an auto loan, how do I get the lien removed and title the vehicle in my name in IL?"

To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.

User Opinions

100% thumbs up 0% thumbs down (2 votes)

How would you rate this answer?

Thank you for rating this answer.

Continue (the Site) is a privately owned, for-profit Web site owned by OnlineGURU, Inc. The Site specifically disclaims any and all connection with any state bureau, division, or Department of Motor Vehicles, or any state or federal government agency. does its best to get the correct information but does not claim responsibility for the accuracy of the information displayed herein. It is not complete or certified information. The information provided on is not legal advice, is not a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. Additionally, the Site expressly disclaims any and all liability for third party links or resources on the Site and any claims of negligence arising from same. For official information, please consult your state motor vehicle department.