How do I make a correction or name change to an existing auto title in IL? Illinois

Titles and Name Changes

You must correct your auto title before correcting your IL vehicle registration.

To do so, first complete an Application for Vehicle Transaction(s) (Form VSD-190). You can't download this form, but you can get one at any Secretary of State (SOS) office or by calling (800) 252-8980. 

After completing it, head to any SOS office with the title application and:

  • The original car title.
  • Proof of the name change (marriage certificate, divorce decree, court papers).
  • A check or money order for $15 (payable to Illinois Secretary of State).

No bill of sale is required.

TIP: If you're planning on selling your vehicle, it's important that you update any name change before beginning the title transfer process. 

Visitor Comments

No visitor comments posted. Post a comment

Post Comment for "How do I make a correction or name change to an existing auto title in IL?"

To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.

User Opinions

No users have voted.

How would you rate this answer?

Thank you for rating this answer.

Continue (the Site) is a privately owned, for-profit Web site owned by OnlineGURU, Inc. The Site specifically disclaims any and all connection with any state bureau, division, or Department of Motor Vehicles, or any state or federal government agency. does its best to get the correct information but does not claim responsibility for the accuracy of the information displayed herein. It is not complete or certified information. The information provided on is not legal advice, is not a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. Additionally, the Site expressly disclaims any and all liability for third party links or resources on the Site and any claims of negligence arising from same. For official information, please consult your state motor vehicle department.