How do you transfer vehicle titles to family in IL?

Transferring Titles Between Family Members

The process to transfer titles between family members is the same as a regular title transfer; the lone difference comes in the use tax rate, which is only $15. Normally this rate is significantly higher, based on the vehicle's age and sometimes the sales price.  


If you're the "seller" (the former vehicle owner), you must:

  1. Sign and print your name on the auto title.
  2. Record the vehicle's odometer reading and the date of sale on the back of the title.
  3. Remove the license plates. 

No bill of sale is required. 


If you're the "buyer" (the new vehicle owner), you must:

  1. Sign and print your name on the title.
  2. Confirm that all of the car title information - such as the odometer reading and VIN - is accurate. 
  3. Complete an Application for Vehicle Transaction(s) (Form VSD 190). You can't download this form. Either get one from any Secretary of State (SOS) office or call (800) 252-8980. 
  4. Complete tax form RUT-50 and write a check or money to pay the $15 use tax fee (payable to Illinois Department of Revenue).
  5. Write a check or money order to pay the $95 title fee (payable to Illinois Secretary of State). 

Drop off all the documents and payments to any SOS office or mail everything to:

Secretary of State
Vehicle Services Department
501 S. Second St., Room 014
Springfield, IL 62756 

The SOS mails out all titles. The process generally takes six weeks. 

Visitor Comments

No visitor comments posted. Post a comment

Post Comment for "How do you transfer vehicle titles to family in IL?"

To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.

User Opinions

100% thumbs up 0% thumbs down (2 votes)

How would you rate this answer?

Thank you for rating this answer.

Continue (the Site) is a privately owned, for-profit Web site owned by OnlineGURU, Inc. The Site specifically disclaims any and all connection with any state bureau, division, or Department of Motor Vehicles, or any state or federal government agency. does its best to get the correct information but does not claim responsibility for the accuracy of the information displayed herein. It is not complete or certified information. The information provided on is not legal advice, is not a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. Additionally, the Site expressly disclaims any and all liability for third party links or resources on the Site and any claims of negligence arising from same. For official information, please consult your state motor vehicle department.