How do I make a correction or name change to an existing auto title in PA? Pennsylvania

Making Corrections to Pennsylvania Car Titles

The Pennsylvania (PA) Department of Transportation (PennDOT) is the one-stop source to contact when you need to make corrections to your PA car title. There is no charge to make some title corrections.

Change Vehicle Identification Data

Complete the “Application for Correction of Vehicle Record or Verification of Vehicle Identification Number” (Form MV-41) to make the following corrections to your car titles:

  • Vehicle body type.
  • Vehicle Identification Number (VIN).
  • Make, year, and weight of motor vehicle.
It takes 5-10 minutes to complete the application. Contact PennDOT to get a copy of the application. You can also download the application online at the PennDOT website.

Information that you will provide on the application includes:

  • Title number.
  • Registration number.
  • Name of the organization that finances the vehicle (if it is not paid off).
  • Your first and last names.
  • Your street mailing address (including city, state, and zip code).
Sign the bottom of the application before you pay the $22.50 title correction fee. Make out your check or money order to cover the fee to the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. The application and fee are sent to:

PA Department of Transportation
Bureau of Motor Vehicles
Harrisburg, PA  17104-2510

Correct Personal Information on Pennsylvania Title

To report a name change (i.e. divorce, marriage) you need to complete the “Application for Correction or Change of Name” (Form MV-41A). Lienholder addresses are also changed using this form.

Data required to complete Form MV-41A includes:

  • Vehicle title and plate number.
  • Your first and last names.
  • Street mailing address.
  • Your former name (if your divorce is pending, include a copy of the court divorce proceeding).
There is no fee to process the change if you do not want a copy of the updated title transfer certificate. Should you want to receive an updated auto title certificate, you must pay the $22.50 fee for the title correction.

Visitor Comments

No visitor comments posted. Post a comment

Post Comment for "How do I make a correction or name change to an existing auto title in PA?"

To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.

User Opinions

No users have voted.

How would you rate this answer?

Thank you for rating this answer.

Continue (the Site) is a privately owned, for-profit Web site owned by OnlineGURU, Inc. The Site specifically disclaims any and all connection with any state bureau, division, or Department of Motor Vehicles, or any state or federal government agency. does its best to get the correct information but does not claim responsibility for the accuracy of the information displayed herein. It is not complete or certified information. The information provided on is not legal advice, is not a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. Additionally, the Site expressly disclaims any and all liability for third party links or resources on the Site and any claims of negligence arising from same. For official information, please consult your state motor vehicle department.