How do I obtain a salvage title in Pennsylvania? Pennsylvania

First, you’ll need to contact the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT) to receive a salvage title for damaged used cars or for a motor vehicle that is unable to become a rebuilt auto. Then comes the paperwork and fees.

Completing the Pennsylvania Salvage Title Application

Complete Form MV-6 (Application for Non-Repairable or Salvage Certificate). The application is available for download at the PennDOT website. You can also pick up copies of the form at a local PennDOT service center.

After you submit the application it will become a part of the vehicle history report (VHR).

To complete the vehicle title application:

  1. Indicate whether the auto was damaged due to a flood or theft.
  2. Fill in your first and last names and birth date.
  3. Provide your street mailing address (including city, state, and zip code).
  4. Write or type in the motor vehicle title number.
  5. Give the vehicle’s make, model, and odometer reading (becomes part of the vehicle history).
  6. Sign and date the bottom of the application.
If the vehicle was stolen, report the theft to the police. You will need to fill in the police report incident number and the investigating officer’s name and telephone number to complete the application.

Should an out-of-state title be attached to the vehicle, pay the $22.50 out-of-state title fee. There is no salvage title fee if the title is registered in PA.Make your check or money order out to the Pennsylvania (PA) Bureau of Motor Vehicles. Mail the completed application and titles fee to:

PA Bureau of Motor Vehicles
1101 South Front St.
Harrisburg, PA 17104

Visitor Comments

No visitor comments posted. Post a comment

Post Comment for "How do I obtain a salvage title in Pennsylvania?"

To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.

User Opinions

100% thumbs up 0% thumbs down (1 vote)

How would you rate this answer?

Thank you for rating this answer.

Continue (the Site) is a privately owned, for-profit Web site owned by OnlineGURU, Inc. The Site specifically disclaims any and all connection with any state bureau, division, or Department of Motor Vehicles, or any state or federal government agency. does its best to get the correct information but does not claim responsibility for the accuracy of the information displayed herein. It is not complete or certified information. The information provided on is not legal advice, is not a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. Additionally, the Site expressly disclaims any and all liability for third party links or resources on the Site and any claims of negligence arising from same. For official information, please consult your state motor vehicle department.