What is required to legally operate a salvage title vehicle on Pennsylvania roads? Pennsylvania

The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT) categorizes used cars as salvage if the cost to repair the vehicles is greater than the actual value of the vehicles. Before a rebuilt auto is operated on Pennsylvania (PA) roadways, the vehicle must be restored and pass a state inspection.

Operate a Salvage Auto in Pennsylvania

To do this you must update the auto’s vehicle history report (VHR). Take the following steps to update the VHR:
  1. Complete Form 426B (Application for Reconstructed, Specially Constructed, Collectible, Modified, Floor, Recovered Theft Vehicles and Street Rods).
  2. Provide a copy of the Salvage Title to PennDOT (remains part of the vehicle history).
  3. Contact PennDOT and complete Form MV1 (Application for Certificate of Title) if the name on the salvage title is different from yours. The titles form is not available online for download.
  4. Include proof of auto insurance (i.e. copy of your insurance card, auto insurance policy).
  5. Pay the $22.50 title fee.
Make your check or money order out to the PA Bureau of Motor Vehicles. Include a copy of the auto state inspection results with your application and fee. Submit the above documents to the:

PA Bureau of Motor Vehicles
Special Services Unit
PO Box C69007
Harrisburg, PA 17106-9007

You are also required to get the motor vehicle inspected at an authorized PA inspection station. Many gasoline and auto repair stations in PA are authorized to conduct the state inspections. You cannot operate a salvage auto on PA roadways until after the vehicle passes state inspection.

Visitor Comments

No visitor comments posted. Post a comment

Post Comment for "What is required to legally operate a salvage title vehicle on Pennsylvania roads?"

To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.

User Opinions

No users have voted.

How would you rate this answer?

Thank you for rating this answer.

DMVAnswers.com (the Site) is a privately owned, for-profit Web site owned by OnlineGURU, Inc. The Site specifically disclaims any and all connection with any state bureau, division, or Department of Motor Vehicles, or any state or federal government agency. DMVAnswers.com does its best to get the correct information but does not claim responsibility for the accuracy of the information displayed herein. It is not complete or certified information. The information provided on DMVAnswers.com is not legal advice, DMVAnswers.com is not a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. Additionally, the Site expressly disclaims any and all liability for third party links or resources on the Site and any claims of negligence arising from same. For official information, please consult your state motor vehicle department.