How do you transfer vehicle titles to family in MA? Massachusetts

Title Transfers Between Family

Just follow these steps to complete a title transfer between family members:

  1. Find the original auto title.
  2. Complete the required sections, including odometer reading, date, and sales price (write "gift" if applicable).
  3. Sign the car title in the designated spots.
  4. Complete a bill of sale (write "gift" in the sales price section if applicable).
  5. Complete a RMV-1 title application.
  6. Complete a sales tax exemption form MVU-26 if applicable (uncles, aunts, cousins, and grandparents are not exempt from the sales tax so they don't need to complete this form).
  7. Take the paperwork to a full-service RMV location.
  8. Pay the $75 title fee as well as any applicable sales tax.
Call the RMV at (800) 858-3926 to learn more about transferring titles between family members.

Visitor Comments

No visitor comments posted. Post a comment

Post Comment for "How do you transfer vehicle titles to family in MA?"

To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.

User Opinions

No users have voted.

How would you rate this answer?

Thank you for rating this answer.

Continue (the Site) is a privately owned, for-profit Web site owned by OnlineGURU, Inc. The Site specifically disclaims any and all connection with any state bureau, division, or Department of Motor Vehicles, or any state or federal government agency. does its best to get the correct information but does not claim responsibility for the accuracy of the information displayed herein. It is not complete or certified information. The information provided on is not legal advice, is not a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. Additionally, the Site expressly disclaims any and all liability for third party links or resources on the Site and any claims of negligence arising from same. For official information, please consult your state motor vehicle department.