When gifting a car, what is required to transfer the title in MA? Massachusetts

Gift Title Transfer

Here's how to handle a title transfer in a gifting situation:

  1. Complete sales tax exemption Form MVU-24 (available through the RMV). Not everyone is exempt, so be sure to talk with someone at your RMV location for details.
  2. Complete Form RMV-1 (available through your car insurance agent).
  3. Get the original car title.
  4. The original owner and new owner should complete the required information on the title, such as the sales price (write "gift"), odometer reading, and date.
  5. Sign in the designated areas.
  6. Bring the paperwork to a full-service RMV location.
  7. Pay the applicable title fees.
To learn more about the subject of gifts and titles, contact the RMV at (800) 858-3926.

Visitor Comments

No visitor comments posted. Post a comment

Post Comment for "When gifting a car, what is required to transfer the title in MA?"

To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.

User Opinions

No users have voted.

How would you rate this answer?

Thank you for rating this answer.

DMVAnswers.com (the Site) is a privately owned, for-profit Web site owned by OnlineGURU, Inc. The Site specifically disclaims any and all connection with any state bureau, division, or Department of Motor Vehicles, or any state or federal government agency. DMVAnswers.com does its best to get the correct information but does not claim responsibility for the accuracy of the information displayed herein. It is not complete or certified information. The information provided on DMVAnswers.com is not legal advice, DMVAnswers.com is not a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. Additionally, the Site expressly disclaims any and all liability for third party links or resources on the Site and any claims of negligence arising from same. For official information, please consult your state motor vehicle department.