How do I replace a lost title or a damaged car title in GA? Georgia

You must contact the Georgia (GA) Department of Revenue (DOR) if you lose or damage your GA car title. Before you do, though, you can get your paperwork and fees prepared.

Replace Your Lost or Damaged Georgia Auto Title

First, complete Form MV-1 (Title and Tag Application). You can download the application online at the GA DOR website. The form is also available at local Motor Vehicle Division (MVD) offices.

To complete the duplicate title application:

  1. Provide the vehicle identification number (VIN).
  2. Fill in the make, model, year, and color of the auto.
  3. Write in the odometer reading.
  4. Give the date you purchased the motor vehicle.
  5. Provide your name and contact information (i.e. street mailing address).
Complete an application for each lost title that you need replaced. You will need the replaced titles to complete the transfer title process should you ever sell the vehicle.

If the auto is financed, provide the lienholder’s name and street mailing address at the bottom of the application. Sign and date the application. Keep in mind that if the vehicle is not paid off, the DOR will send the duplicate title to the lien holder.

Pay the $8 title replacement fee. Make your check or money order out to the GA Department of Revenue.

Bring your valid GA drivers license with you when you submit the application. You need a photo identification card to get a replaced title. To save time, consider submitting the application at a county tag office.

It takes about three days to receive the duplicate title if you submit your application through the county tag office. It takes about five or more days to receive the title if you apply at your local MVD office.

Visitor Comments

No visitor comments posted. Post a comment

Post Comment for "How do I replace a lost title or a damaged car title in GA?"

To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.

User Opinions

0% thumbs up 100% thumbs down (1 vote)

How would you rate this answer?

Thank you for rating this answer.

Continue (the Site) is a privately owned, for-profit Web site owned by OnlineGURU, Inc. The Site specifically disclaims any and all connection with any state bureau, division, or Department of Motor Vehicles, or any state or federal government agency. does its best to get the correct information but does not claim responsibility for the accuracy of the information displayed herein. It is not complete or certified information. The information provided on is not legal advice, is not a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. Additionally, the Site expressly disclaims any and all liability for third party links or resources on the Site and any claims of negligence arising from same. For official information, please consult your state motor vehicle department.