How do you transfer vehicle titles to family in GA? Georgia

In the state of Georgia, you can transfer an auto title to an immediate family member (parent, child, spouse, sibling, or grandparent) by doing the following:
  1. Sign and date the title, and have the new owner do the same.
  2. Record the odometer reading, if the vehicle is 10 years old or newer.
  3. Have the title signed by a notary.
  4. Have the vehicle inspected, if you live in one of the counties listed below.
  5. Complete a Title/Tag Application.
  6. Submit all documents, and the $18 title transfer fee, to the County Tax Commissioner’s tag office.

Counties Requiring Vehicle Inspection

  • Rockdale
  • Cherokee
  • Paulding
  • Clayton
  • Henry
  • Cobb
  • Gwinnett
  • Coweta
  • Fulton
  • Forsyth
  • DeKalb
  • Douglas
  • Fayette

Vehicle Registration After Title Transfer

After the car title is successfully transferred, the new owner must register the vehicle under the proper name and obtain new license plates. Old license plates cannot be transferred with titles in Georgia.

Transferring Titles for Other Family Members

If you are transferring a title to extended family, you must follow the general procedure for a title transfer, not specific to family.

Visitor Comments

No visitor comments posted. Post a comment

Post Comment for "How do you transfer vehicle titles to family in GA?"

To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.

User Opinions

100% thumbs up 0% thumbs down (3 votes)

How would you rate this answer?

Thank you for rating this answer.

Continue (the Site) is a privately owned, for-profit Web site owned by OnlineGURU, Inc. The Site specifically disclaims any and all connection with any state bureau, division, or Department of Motor Vehicles, or any state or federal government agency. does its best to get the correct information but does not claim responsibility for the accuracy of the information displayed herein. It is not complete or certified information. The information provided on is not legal advice, is not a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. Additionally, the Site expressly disclaims any and all liability for third party links or resources on the Site and any claims of negligence arising from same. For official information, please consult your state motor vehicle department.