Last Updated 6th of August, 2010
When gifting a car, what is required to transfer the title in GA? Georgia
When giving a vehicle as a gift, you must complete the title transfer by doing the following:
- Sign and date the title.
- Have the gift recipient sign and date the title.
- Record the odometer reading, for vehicles fewer than 10 years old.
- Have a notary sign the title.
- Be prepared to present proof of a current emissions test, if you live in one of the counties listed below.
- Present all documents, and the $18 car title fee to your County Tax Commissioner’s tag office.
- Make sure the gift recipient knows that, depending on the time of year, he or she could be required to pay taxes on the vehicle. Contact your County Tax Commissioner’s tag office for more details.
Counties Requiring Proof of Emissions Testing
Vehicle Registration After Transferring the TitleAfter transferring the title, the vehicle’s new owner must register the vehicle under the proper name. As part of the registration process, the new owner will be issued new license plates, as license plates cannot be transferred with titles in Georgia.
No visitor comments posted. Post a comment
Post Comment for "When gifting a car, what is required to transfer the title in GA?"
To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.
100% 0% (3 votes)
How would you rate this answer?
Thank you for rating this answer.