When gifting a car, what is required to transfer the title in GA? Georgia

When giving a vehicle as a gift, you must complete the title transfer by doing the following:

  1. Sign and date the title.
  2. Have the gift recipient sign and date the title.
  3. Record the odometer reading, for vehicles fewer than 10 years old.
  4. Have a notary sign the title.
  5. Be prepared to present proof of a current emissions test, if you live in one of the counties listed below.
  6. Present all documents, and the $18 car title fee to your County Tax Commissioner’s tag office.
  7. Make sure the gift recipient knows that, depending on the time of year, he or she could be required to pay taxes on the vehicle. Contact your County Tax Commissioner’s tag office for more details.

Counties Requiring Proof of Emissions Testing

  • Fayette
  • Forsyth
  • Cherokee
  • DeKalb
  • Rockdale
  • Henry
  • Cobb
  • Clayton
  • Douglas
  • Gwinnett
  • Fulton
  • Paulding
  • Coweta

Vehicle Registration After Transferring the Title

After transferring the title, the vehicle’s new owner must register the vehicle under the proper name. As part of the registration process, the new owner will be issued new license plates, as license plates cannot be transferred with titles in Georgia.

Visitor Comments

No visitor comments posted. Post a comment

Post Comment for "When gifting a car, what is required to transfer the title in GA?"

To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.

User Opinions

100% thumbs up 0% thumbs down (3 votes)

How would you rate this answer?

Thank you for rating this answer.

DMVAnswers.com (the Site) is a privately owned, for-profit Web site owned by OnlineGURU, Inc. The Site specifically disclaims any and all connection with any state bureau, division, or Department of Motor Vehicles, or any state or federal government agency. DMVAnswers.com does its best to get the correct information but does not claim responsibility for the accuracy of the information displayed herein. It is not complete or certified information. The information provided on DMVAnswers.com is not legal advice, DMVAnswers.com is not a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. Additionally, the Site expressly disclaims any and all liability for third party links or resources on the Site and any claims of negligence arising from same. For official information, please consult your state motor vehicle department.