What is required to legally operate a salvage title vehicle on Georgia roads? Georgia

In order to operate a vehicle with a salvage title in the state of Georgia, you must have the vehicle declared a rebuilt auto, and obtain a rebuilt auto title. You can obtain rebuild auto titles by doing the following.

Repair or Rebuild the Salvage Vehicle

Have the salvaged vehicle rebuilt or repaired by a licensed rebuilder. Only a licensed rebuilder has the ability to declare the vehicle a rebuilt auto.

Have the Salvage Vehicle Inspected

Have the vehicle inspected by an approved salvage inspector. The salvage inspector may come to your home or business, or you can have the vehicle towed to an approved inspection site. If you have the vehicle inspected at your home or business, you must request inspection paperwork by mailing the Motor Vehicle Division at the following address:
GA Motor Vehicle Division
Attn: Salvage Unit
P.O. Box 740384
Atlanta, GA 30374-0384
Present proof of passing the inspection, the $100 inspection fee, and the $18 title fee to your local tag office. Verify additional inspection fees with the inspector beforehand.

Complete Vehicle Registration

Once you obtain a title for your vehicle, you must have the vehicle registered in your name. You can register the vehicle by submitting the following to a local MVD branch:
  • Your drivers license, or state issued ID card.
  • Proof of GA residency.
  • Proof of vehicle insurance.
  • Proof of passing an emissions inspection.
  • Rebuilt auto title.
  • Completed Tag/Title Application.
  • $20 registration fee.
Once you have obtained a title and registration certificate, you can legally drive your vehicle on Georgia roads.

Obtain Vehicle History Reports for Used Cars

If you are considering purchasing a used or salvaged vehicle, considering obtaining a vehicle history report (VHR) prior to finalizing the sale. A VHR will provide you with the complete vehicle history, making it easier for you to determine whether the car is a good deal or not.

You can obtain a VHR by contacting the Georgia MVD directly: (404) 968-3800.

Visitor Comments

No visitor comments posted. Post a comment

Post Comment for "What is required to legally operate a salvage title vehicle on Georgia roads?"

To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.

User Opinions

100% thumbs up 0% thumbs down (2 votes)

How would you rate this answer?

Thank you for rating this answer.

DMVAnswers.com (the Site) is a privately owned, for-profit Web site owned by OnlineGURU, Inc. The Site specifically disclaims any and all connection with any state bureau, division, or Department of Motor Vehicles, or any state or federal government agency. DMVAnswers.com does its best to get the correct information but does not claim responsibility for the accuracy of the information displayed herein. It is not complete or certified information. The information provided on DMVAnswers.com is not legal advice, DMVAnswers.com is not a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. Additionally, the Site expressly disclaims any and all liability for third party links or resources on the Site and any claims of negligence arising from same. For official information, please consult your state motor vehicle department.