Is it illegal to drive without shoes?

Traffic Laws Regulating Shoes

This is one of the few traffic laws every state agrees upon. Shoes are not required to operate a vehicle. Every state permits barefoot driving. There are no laws or ordinances prohibiting hitting the gas and brake pedals with naked feet, resulting, if caught, in a traffic ticket and/or citation. 

The closest law prohibiting barefoot driving comes from Alabama, which states: "Operation of a motor vehicle by a driver with bare feet is permitted. Exception: motorcycle rider." 

Lawmakers in Ohio, Wyoming, Missouri, Iowa, and Indiana allow barefoot driving but recommend against it, citing this practice as unsafe, a car crash waiting to happen.

The choice is yours. Drive however you see fit. As long as you practice safe driving habits, it does not matter if you're wearing shoes, flip-flops, or going barefoot.

Visitor Comments

No visitor comments posted. Post a comment

Post Comment for "Is it illegal to drive without shoes?"

To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.

User Opinions

100% thumbs up 0% thumbs down (18 votes)

How would you rate this answer?

Thank you for rating this answer.

Continue (the Site) is a privately owned, for-profit Web site owned by OnlineGURU, Inc. The Site specifically disclaims any and all connection with any state bureau, division, or Department of Motor Vehicles, or any state or federal government agency. does its best to get the correct information but does not claim responsibility for the accuracy of the information displayed herein. It is not complete or certified information. The information provided on is not legal advice, is not a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. Additionally, the Site expressly disclaims any and all liability for third party links or resources on the Site and any claims of negligence arising from same. For official information, please consult your state motor vehicle department.