Is there a grace period for expired license plates or Texas vehicle registration? Texas

Yes. Although you can renew your license plates and vehicle registration up to 90 days before the listed expiration date, the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) understands that sometimes life's other responsibilities get in the way of completing this task.

After your license plates and vehicle registration have expired, you can still legally drive your vehicle for up to five business days with no penalty. If you fail to complete the renewal process within those five days, however, you could get a traffic ticket of up to $200 if a law enforcement officer stops you for driving with an expired registration.

How to Renew an Expired Vehicle Registration

Unfortunately, once your vehicle registration and license plates have expired, you're going to need to visit the county tax office or an approved TX DMV substation in order to complete the renewal process. Don't forget to bring your registration renewal notice, your registration receipt from the previous year, your license plate number, or your VIN.

There is a 20% late fee for expired license plates and vehicle registration. However, you will only be assessed this penalty if you have been given a ticket for driving the vehicle without the proper license plates and registration.

Prepayment of Car Registration Fees

If you are constantly finding yourself forgetting to register your vehicle on time, keep in mind that the Texas DMV allows you to prepay your car registration fees for two or three years. Your stickers will still be valid for one year at a time, but you won't need to complete the entire DMV registration process each year.

Visitor Comments

No visitor comments posted. Post a comment

Post Comment for "Is there a grace period for expired license plates or Texas vehicle registration?"

To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.

User Opinions

80% thumbs up 20% thumbs down (5 votes)

How would you rate this answer?

Thank you for rating this answer.

Continue (the Site) is a privately owned, for-profit Web site owned by OnlineGURU, Inc. The Site specifically disclaims any and all connection with any state bureau, division, or Department of Motor Vehicles, or any state or federal government agency. does its best to get the correct information but does not claim responsibility for the accuracy of the information displayed herein. It is not complete or certified information. The information provided on is not legal advice, is not a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. Additionally, the Site expressly disclaims any and all liability for third party links or resources on the Site and any claims of negligence arising from same. For official information, please consult your state motor vehicle department.