Is there a grace period for expired license plates or Florida vehicle registration? Florida

That depends on what you mean by a "grace period."

In terms of a late registration renewal fee, yes, there is grace period of 10 days following your car registration due date. If you renew your vehicle registration within that window, you'll just pay the standard renewal fees without a penalty fee. Florida late fees vary according to the license tax due, but can be anywhere from $5-$250.

However, there's no grace period for driving with expired license plates. You could be pulled over by FL law enforcement the day after your renewal date for not having a current license plate. If that happens, you'll receive a ticket and a fine.

Florida Registration Renewal

Remember, it's possible to renew your car registration online, in person, by mail, and by phone. Take advantage of this convenience and avoid all penalties associated with an expired car registration.

Visitor Comments

No visitor comments posted. Post a comment

Post Comment for "Is there a grace period for expired license plates or Florida vehicle registration?"

To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.

User Opinions

33% thumbs up 66% thumbs down (3 votes)

How would you rate this answer?

Thank you for rating this answer.

Continue (the Site) is a privately owned, for-profit Web site owned by OnlineGURU, Inc. The Site specifically disclaims any and all connection with any state bureau, division, or Department of Motor Vehicles, or any state or federal government agency. does its best to get the correct information but does not claim responsibility for the accuracy of the information displayed herein. It is not complete or certified information. The information provided on is not legal advice, is not a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. Additionally, the Site expressly disclaims any and all liability for third party links or resources on the Site and any claims of negligence arising from same. For official information, please consult your state motor vehicle department.