Is there a grace period for expired license plates or Georgia vehicle registration? Georgia

Expired License Plates and Vehicle Registration

There is no grace period when it comes to car registration. You are expected and required to renew your registration in a timely manner. If you miss your registration's expiration date, expect to pay the following fines:

  • 10% of the amount of ad valorem tax due ($5 minimum).
  • 25% of the tag fees.
Registration depends on your place of residence. Georgia employs three different car registration systems:

  • Year-round registration.
  • Four-month staggered registration (Talbot county only).
  • Four-month non-staggered registration.

Your expiration date should be easy to remember because it falls on your birthday. But, just in case you need a reminder, your county will send you a registration renewal notice in the mail. It will include all of the information you need to know on how renew. Depending on your county, you may be allowed to conveniently renew online. Otherwise, you have two other options: in person or by mail.

TIP: If your registration is within days of expiring, renew in person at your local GA MVD office. This way you'll receive your registration certificate and license plate tags immediately. You don't want to get caught driving with an expired registration, because if you're stopped you will be ticketed and fined.

Visitor Comments

No visitor comments posted. Post a comment

Post Comment for "Is there a grace period for expired license plates or Georgia vehicle registration?"

To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.

User Opinions

100% thumbs up 0% thumbs down (2 votes)

How would you rate this answer?

Thank you for rating this answer.

Continue (the Site) is a privately owned, for-profit Web site owned by OnlineGURU, Inc. The Site specifically disclaims any and all connection with any state bureau, division, or Department of Motor Vehicles, or any state or federal government agency. does its best to get the correct information but does not claim responsibility for the accuracy of the information displayed herein. It is not complete or certified information. The information provided on is not legal advice, is not a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. Additionally, the Site expressly disclaims any and all liability for third party links or resources on the Site and any claims of negligence arising from same. For official information, please consult your state motor vehicle department.