What are the vehicle title fees in New York? New York
Titles and FeesWhether you just purchased a new car from a private party or received a title transfer via gift, you will be required to obtain a vehicle title from the NY DMV. Besides submitting proper identification and documents, you'll also need to pay a title fee.
Depending on your title situation, you'll need to pay:
- Initial car title fee: $50
- Duplicate title (for any lost, damaged or mutilated title): $20
- Remove lien from title: $20
- Name change on car title: Free
Make the check or money order payable to "Commissioner of Motor Vehicles."
Title Timelines After Ordering
After applying, the New York DMV will deliver your new title by mail. You cannot pick it up at a DMV office. The wait times are as such:
- Duplicate Title: 5-7 business days if you order online or in person; 6-8 business weeks if you order by mail.
- Remove Lien from Title: 60-90 days.
- Initial Title: Within 90 days.
Post Comment for "What are the vehicle title fees in New York?"
To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.
How would you rate this answer?
Thank you for rating this answer.