How do I obtain replacement license plates in NY? New York

License Plates Gone Missing

As long as you don't need to replace a custom or personalized license plate (see below), the process to replace a standard license plate is fairly straightforward.

Replacing a Standard License Plate

If your license plates are missing, before visiting any NY DMV for replacements you must first obtain a Form MV-78B (Report of Lost or Stolen Motor Vehicle Items) from a police station. If the report states your license plate was stolen, you will not be charged a replacement fee. 

Take Form MV-78B to any DMV office (you cannot apply online or by mail) along with:

  • A completed Vehicle Registration/Title Application (form MV-82).
  • A valid New York Insurance Identification Card (FS-20).
  • The "surviving" plate, if only one license plate is missing. Be sure to remove the license plate frame and fasteners. 
  • Proof of identification.
  • Cash or a check or credit card (Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express) to pay the $28 license plate replacement fee. If it's for a trailer or motorcycle, where no front license plate is necessary, you'll only be charged $15.50. 

You'll receive new license plates with different numbers. You cannot have your old license plate number.

Replacing Custom or Personalized License Plates

You cannot apply for duplicates through a DMV office. For assistance, call (518) 402-4838 between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. on weekdays.

Visitor Comments

No visitor comments posted. Post a comment

Post Comment for "How do I obtain replacement license plates in NY?"

To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.

User Opinions

100% thumbs up 0% thumbs down (1 vote)

How would you rate this answer?

Thank you for rating this answer.

Continue (the Site) is a privately owned, for-profit Web site owned by OnlineGURU, Inc. The Site specifically disclaims any and all connection with any state bureau, division, or Department of Motor Vehicles, or any state or federal government agency. does its best to get the correct information but does not claim responsibility for the accuracy of the information displayed herein. It is not complete or certified information. The information provided on is not legal advice, is not a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. Additionally, the Site expressly disclaims any and all liability for third party links or resources on the Site and any claims of negligence arising from same. For official information, please consult your state motor vehicle department.