How do I replace lost or damaged NC license plate stickers, tabs or tags? North Carolina

Replacing License Plates or Stickers/Tabs/Tags

If your license plate, stickers, or car tags are damaged, lost, or stolen, then you can get duplicates. You will not have to pay for a whole new year of car registration. Simply:

  1. Make an appointment at a DMV (Vehicle and Plate Renewal) office.
  2. Fill out Form MV-18, Application for Replacement of Plate or Sticker, available at the NC DMV Web site.
  3. Show your proof of insurance.
  4. Pay a $15 fee, plus a notary fee (determined at the office).

Replacing a License Plate from Out of State

If you’re living out of North Carolina, you can still get a replacement plate before your vehicle registration is due again. Just:

  1. Complete MV-18, Application for Replacement of Plate or Sticker, downloadable from the NC DMV website. Make sure it lists your vehicle information.
  2. Get the form notarized.
  3. Send the form and $15 to:
The Division of Motor Vehicles
3148 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, NC  27699-3148

Reporting a Stolen Plate or Sticker

Go to the Vehicle Plate and Renewal DMV office to report stolen license plates.

Visitor Comments

No visitor comments posted. Post a comment

Post Comment for "How do I replace lost or damaged NC license plate stickers, tabs or tags?"

To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.

User Opinions

50% thumbs up 50% thumbs down (2 votes)

How would you rate this answer?

Thank you for rating this answer.

Continue (the Site) is a privately owned, for-profit Web site owned by OnlineGURU, Inc. The Site specifically disclaims any and all connection with any state bureau, division, or Department of Motor Vehicles, or any state or federal government agency. does its best to get the correct information but does not claim responsibility for the accuracy of the information displayed herein. It is not complete or certified information. The information provided on is not legal advice, is not a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. Additionally, the Site expressly disclaims any and all liability for third party links or resources on the Site and any claims of negligence arising from same. For official information, please consult your state motor vehicle department.