Is there a grace period for expired license plates or New Jersey vehicle registration? New Jersey

License Plates and Registration Renewal

New Jersey will not charge you if you do not renew your car registration before its expiration date. You will, however, put yourself at risk of getting a traffic ticket if you're caught driving with an expired vehicle registration, so it is in your best financial interest, to renew your DMV registration in a timely fashion. 

To assist in reminding you, the NJ MVC will send you a registration renewal form approximately 60 days before your registration expires. You can then use this form to renew online, by phone, by mail, or in person at any MVC location. If you do not receive a registration renewal form, it's probably because you moved and failed to notify the MVC of your new mailing address. 

Keep in mind that the MVC no longer issues a car registration decal for your rear license plate.

Visitor Comments

No visitor comments posted. Post a comment

Post Comment for "Is there a grace period for expired license plates or New Jersey vehicle registration?"

To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.

User Opinions

0% thumbs up 100% thumbs down (1 vote)

How would you rate this answer?

Thank you for rating this answer.

Continue (the Site) is a privately owned, for-profit Web site owned by OnlineGURU, Inc. The Site specifically disclaims any and all connection with any state bureau, division, or Department of Motor Vehicles, or any state or federal government agency. does its best to get the correct information but does not claim responsibility for the accuracy of the information displayed herein. It is not complete or certified information. The information provided on is not legal advice, is not a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. Additionally, the Site expressly disclaims any and all liability for third party links or resources on the Site and any claims of negligence arising from same. For official information, please consult your state motor vehicle department.