Do I go to the DMV to file a mobile home title transfer?


Many states handle mobile home title transfers through the state motor vehicle agency. This might mean the DMV, as is the case in states like Delaware and Nebraska, or it might mean another state agency that handles title and registration transactions like Alabama’s Department of Revenue Motor Vehicle Division.

However, some states handle title transactions for mobile homes through whichever state agency handles the same transactions for traditional homes, or even through a separate agency altogether. California, for example, handles mobile home titles through the state’s Department of Housing and Community Development.

Still, because most states do place the responsibility of mobile home title transfers in the hands of their motor vehicle agencies, your best bet is to contact that agency first.  

NOTE: Before you head out, make sure you understand your state’s lingo. What one state considers a mobile home another state might label as a motor home or even an RV, and in some states this changes where you need to go to file the mobile home title transfer.

Visitor Comments

No visitor comments posted. Post a comment

Post Comment for "Do I go to the DMV to file a mobile home title transfer?"

To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.

User Opinions

16% thumbs up 83% thumbs down (6 votes)

How would you rate this answer?

Thank you for rating this answer.

Continue (the Site) is a privately owned, for-profit Web site owned by OnlineGURU, Inc. The Site specifically disclaims any and all connection with any state bureau, division, or Department of Motor Vehicles, or any state or federal government agency. does its best to get the correct information but does not claim responsibility for the accuracy of the information displayed herein. It is not complete or certified information. The information provided on is not legal advice, is not a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. Additionally, the Site expressly disclaims any and all liability for third party links or resources on the Site and any claims of negligence arising from same. For official information, please consult your state motor vehicle department.