How do I renew my IL license plate stickers? Illinois
License Plates, Car Tags and DMV RegistrationThe Illinois Secretary of State (SOS) will send you a registration renewal notice about 60 days before your car registration is set to expire. All the information you need for renewing your vehicle registration will be on this form. You'll have the option of renewing in one of four ways: mail, Internet, phone, in-person.
You cannot use this option if:
- You want to switch plate types.
- You want your new registration materials mailed to an out-of-state address.
- Your vehicle information is incorrect.
- You want to change the spacing on your license plate.
- You did not receive a renewal form.
- Your renewal form must have a registration code and a personal identification number (PIN).
- You must have a checking account or a valid credit card (MasterCard, Visa, American Express, Discover).
- You must have your insurance company name, policy number and expiration date.
- You won't cause a fuss when charged a $2.25 credit card fee.
- You're not a participant in the Circuit Breaker program.
Call (866) 545-9609. Have at the ready:
- Your registration code and PIN, found on your renewal form. If these numbers aren't listed you cannot use the phone option.
- A credit card (Visa, Discover, American Express, MasterCard).
Complete your renewal form. Mail it, along with a check payable to "Illinois Secretary of State," to the address listed on the form.
Visit any SOS office, currency exchange or participating bank with your renewal form. Pay with cash, check or credit card. Use this option if you car registration is about to expire. You'll receive your license plate sticker and updated car registration certificate immediately. If you attempt to drive with an expired IL license plate, you'll put yourself at risk of getting ticketed and fined.
Post Comment for "How do I renew my IL license plate stickers?"
To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.
How would you rate this answer?
Thank you for rating this answer.