Where can I find information on mobile home titles?

If by “mobile home” you mean something that’s similar to a motor home or RV, chances are you’ll find information about title matters lies with your DMV or whichever agency handles vehicle titles and registrations in your state.

However, if by “mobile home” you mean something that’s more similar to a trailer (a habitable structure that you can move if you wish but one that normally stays put on a piece of land you own or lease), there’s no across-the-board answer – it all depends on where you live.

You might have to handle mobile home titles through the same state agency that handles vehicle titles and registrations. For example, both Delaware and Nebraska handle mobile home titles through their DMV offices, and in Alabama owners of mobile homes designated during or after 1990 handle their title matters through the state’s Motor Vehicle Division of the Department of Revenue.

Or, you might have to take care of them through the state agency that handles titles and deeds for traditional homes.

The good news is you’re not alone; mobile homes don’t just appear out of thin air, after all. In other words:

  • If you purchased your mobile home new or used through a dealer, he or she will already know exactly how to handle the title process and will likely walk you through it.
  • If you purchased the mobile home from a private seller and you and the seller went through a real estate agent, that agent can help you with title procedures. Even if the two of you handled the transaction alone, you can gather information from the previous owner (“Where did you handle the titling process for this?”) or contact the two agencies in your state that handle vehicle titles and home titles and deeds.
NOTE: If you live in a state that handles mobile home titles through the DMV or other agency that deals with vehicle titles and registrations, you might have to switch from the DMV to the state agency that deals with traditional home titles and deeds if you ever convert your mobile home to real estate (in other words, alter it so that it’s no longer mobile). Owners of mobile homes in Virginia, for example, have to surrender their mobile home titles to the DMV whenever they convert them to real estate.

Visitor Comments

No visitor comments posted. Post a comment

Post Comment for "Where can I find information on mobile home titles?"

To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.

User Opinions

28% thumbs up 71% thumbs down (7 votes)

How would you rate this answer?

Thank you for rating this answer.

DMVAnswers.com (the Site) is a privately owned, for-profit Web site owned by OnlineGURU, Inc. The Site specifically disclaims any and all connection with any state bureau, division, or Department of Motor Vehicles, or any state or federal government agency. DMVAnswers.com does its best to get the correct information but does not claim responsibility for the accuracy of the information displayed herein. It is not complete or certified information. The information provided on DMVAnswers.com is not legal advice, DMVAnswers.com is not a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. Additionally, the Site expressly disclaims any and all liability for third party links or resources on the Site and any claims of negligence arising from same. For official information, please consult your state motor vehicle department.