How do I obtain replacement license plates in IL? Illinois

Front License Plate and Back License Plate Information

Here's what you need to do:

  • Complete an Application for Vehicle Transaction(s) (Form VSD 190). This form cannot be downloaded. It can be picked up from any Secretary of State (SOS) office, or ordered by phone, (800) 252-8980. 
  • Visit any Illinois SOS office and pay the replacement license plate fee (see fees below) with cash, check, or credit card (Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express). Or, if you prefer, mail application and check to:

    Secretary of State
    Winchester Distribution Division
    3701 Winchester Road
    Springfield, IL 62707

Single license plate - $6
Both license plates - $9
Single license plate and car registration sticker - $26
Both license plates and vehicle registration sticker - $29

If you lost one plate and want to retain the same license plate number, submit form VSD 190 and hang onto the existing license plate.  

If both plates were lost, you'll receive a new license plate number unless you submit a request to retain your old number. 

Although not required, you should report a lost or stolen license plate to the police.

Visitor Comments

No visitor comments posted. Post a comment

Post Comment for "How do I obtain replacement license plates in IL?"

To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.

User Opinions

75% thumbs up 25% thumbs down (4 votes)

How would you rate this answer?

Thank you for rating this answer.

Continue (the Site) is a privately owned, for-profit Web site owned by OnlineGURU, Inc. The Site specifically disclaims any and all connection with any state bureau, division, or Department of Motor Vehicles, or any state or federal government agency. does its best to get the correct information but does not claim responsibility for the accuracy of the information displayed herein. It is not complete or certified information. The information provided on is not legal advice, is not a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. Additionally, the Site expressly disclaims any and all liability for third party links or resources on the Site and any claims of negligence arising from same. For official information, please consult your state motor vehicle department.