How do I renew a Hazmat CDL endorsement in CA? California

Hazmat Endorsement Renewal

The HAZMAT endorsement expires every five years in California and most other states, though states are given the leeway to have it expire sooner. Check with the TSA if you don’t know when your HAZMAT endorsement expires. If your HAZMAT CDL has expired, you may not transport hazardous materials anymore; you’ll be breaking federal and state law.

Because the federal Patriot Act requires that a CDL driver who needs to renew a HAZMAT CDL do so by undergoing a new Transportation Security Administration (TSA) background check, you need to allow at least 30 to handle the background check and the HAZMAT renewal.

You'll renew your regular CDL through the CA DMV, but for the hazardous materials endorsement you'll:

  1. Call the TSA at (877) 429-7746 between 7 a.m.-9 p.m. EST, or go on their website to begin the application process. Have your CDL number and CDL class handy.
  2. Pay $89.25 (credit or debit card, or e-Check).
  3. Go to a fingerprint office and provide your fingerprints. Here you will need to provide proof of ID and proof of legal status. This office accepts only money orders.
  4. Wait for the FBI to conduct their background check.
There is no HAZMAT test.

Within about 30 days, the TSA will send you a letter telling you you’re good to go, or not.  If not, you can protest this with a waiver request, or request for appeal.

Renewing a CDL

The DMV will send you a renewal notice in the mail containing renewal information for your commercial license. This is separate from the HAZMAT renewal.

You may have to retake a written CDL test; the renewal notice will tell you, and if this is the case, consider taking a CDL practice test to prepare. CDL practice will help you brush up on your knowledge of safety and traffic laws.

Visitor Comments

No visitor comments posted. Post a comment

Post Comment for "How do I renew a Hazmat CDL endorsement in CA?"

To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.

User Opinions

50% thumbs up 50% thumbs down (2 votes)

How would you rate this answer?

Thank you for rating this answer.

Continue (the Site) is a privately owned, for-profit Web site owned by OnlineGURU, Inc. The Site specifically disclaims any and all connection with any state bureau, division, or Department of Motor Vehicles, or any state or federal government agency. does its best to get the correct information but does not claim responsibility for the accuracy of the information displayed herein. It is not complete or certified information. The information provided on is not legal advice, is not a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. Additionally, the Site expressly disclaims any and all liability for third party links or resources on the Site and any claims of negligence arising from same. For official information, please consult your state motor vehicle department.