How do I apply for a CDL endorsement in Texas? Texas

If you're interested in becoming a commercial driver, it's important to understand that a standard Class A, B, or C CDL does not give you unlimited driving privileges. Depending upon what type of driving job you are interested in, you may need to have a CDL endorsement added to your license.

Available endorsements for a Texas CDL driver include:

  • T: Double and triple trailer
  • P: Passenger
  • N: Tank vehicle
  • H: Hazardous materials
  • X: Combination of N and H
  • S: School bus

Each endorsement requires the completion of a written knowledge part of the CDL test, in addition to all of the standard requirements for the CDL class you wish to receive. The CDL handbook published by the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) contains detailed information about each endorsement type. There are also CDL practice test questions covering the types of material that will be on the test to receive each commercial license endorsement.

The Uniting and Strengthening America by Providing Appropriate Tools Required to Intercept and Obstruct Terrorism (USA Patriot) Act is a federal law that was passed in 2001 to restrict the issuing of hazardous materials endorsements. If you wish to receive this type of endorsement on your CDL, you will need to be able to pass a background check to determine that you are not a security risk.


The basic fee for a Texas CDL is $60 for a six-year license. There is an additional $10 charge to add an endorsement to your commercial license.

If you do not pass the knowledge or skills tests needed to obtain your desired CDL and endorsements on the first try, your application will be held for 90 days. After the 90-day period has passed, the application will be destroyed and you will need to retake the required tests and pay all additional fees once more. Be sure to get some CDL practice and retake the test(s) before that happens.

Visitor Comments

No visitor comments posted. Post a comment

Post Comment for "How do I apply for a CDL endorsement in Texas?"

To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.

User Opinions

No users have voted.

How would you rate this answer?

Thank you for rating this answer.

Continue (the Site) is a privately owned, for-profit Web site owned by OnlineGURU, Inc. The Site specifically disclaims any and all connection with any state bureau, division, or Department of Motor Vehicles, or any state or federal government agency. does its best to get the correct information but does not claim responsibility for the accuracy of the information displayed herein. It is not complete or certified information. The information provided on is not legal advice, is not a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. Additionally, the Site expressly disclaims any and all liability for third party links or resources on the Site and any claims of negligence arising from same. For official information, please consult your state motor vehicle department.